The Alumni Board comprises 40 graduate volunteers from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law. Principal activities include promoting and recognizing the accomplishments of Maryland Carey Law and its alumni, assisting in preparing students for professional careers after graduation, and advancing the legal profession in Maryland and beyond. The Board also selects the annual Alumni Award Recipients.
The Alumni Board is currently collecting applications for new members to serve a three-year term beginning July 1, 2024 through June 30, 2027. Interest alumni should submit their application using the link below by Friday, January 12, 2024. If you have any questions, please email Jason Keller, director of alumni engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of the Maryland Carey Law Alumni Board is to engage the School’s alumni, friends, stakeholders, and current, prospective, and admitted students by planning and executing outreach efforts designed to engage the Maryland Carey Law community as a way to promote the mission and achievements of the School. As the Alumni Board seeks to engage the Maryland Carey Law community, it shall actively consider, foster, and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Alumni Board is committed to building a culture that prizes diversity, equity, and inclusion, and prioritizes access, opportunity, and advancement for historically marginalized and disadvantaged groups.
The Alumni Board has four standing committees:
- Alumni Awards Committee - Members of this committee solicit and review nominations for the annual Alumni Awards program. The committee develops award criteria, discusses each nomination, and puts forth recommendations for each award category to the full Board for a vote and approval.
- Alumni Engagement Committee - Members of this committee work in partnership with the Office of Development & Alumni Relations to identify and coordinate activities focused on creating meaningful and sustainable relationships with Maryland Carey Law to promote long-term engagement and philanthropy.
- Governance Committee - Members of this committee ensure efficient and effective operations of the Board. This committee also reviews and evaluates membership of the Alumni Board.
- Student Engagement Committee - Members of this committee help to enhance the student experience through student mentorship and recruitment.
Responsibilities of Alumni Board Members include:
- Attending the regularly scheduled full Alumni Board and committee meetings held throughout the year.
- Serving on at least one of four standing Alumni Board committees and participating in ad hoc working groups, task forces, or other temporary bodies created to address any special or urgent need(s).
- Regarding Maryland Carey Law as a top philanthropic priority and giving annually during each fiscal year.
- Regularly engaging with the Law School’s students, faculty and alumni. (Including, but not limited to: mentorship, guest lecturer, advocacy team coach, reunion planning, or event host).
- Reviewing nominations for and selecting alumni award recipients each fall and new Alumni Board members each spring.
Applications to join the Alumni Board are collected on an annual basis. The application for 2024 is currently available and interested alumni should submit their nomination by Friday, January 12, 2024.
For more information, please email Jason Keller, director of alumni engagement, at email@example.com.
Current Members of the Alumni Board
Christopher Chaulk '15, Vice President
Attorney Advisor | Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Ryan Perlin '05
Partner | Bekman, Marder, Hopper, Malarky & Perlin, L.L.C.
Sakkara Turpin '14
Senior Compliance Attorney | Venable LLP
Alexa Ain '21
Associate | DLA Piper
Lindsay Barnes, III '12Senior Counsel | Capital One
Max Cardin '19
Associate | Hogan Lovells LLP
The Hon. William Carr '73
Associate Judge (ret.) | Harford County Circuit Court
Kaelyn Carroll '11
Vice President, Associate General Counsel | Erickson Senior Living
Lauri Cleary '85
Attorney, Chair Litigation Practice Group, Lerch, Early & Brewer, Chartered
Rachel Cooper '17
Lead Counsel, Global Privacy | Meta
Maggie Davis '13
Director, State Health Policy | Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
Susan DuMont '16
Attorney | Miles & Stockbridge
Jared Dvornicky '13
Partner | Gallagher Evelius & Jones LLP
Dylan Elliott '20
Associate | Salsbury Sullivan, LLC
Shannon Frede '16
Environmental Policy Counsel | U.S. Senator Benjamin L. Cardin
Brittani Gordon '15
Associate | Shulman Rogers
Amy Hennen '09
Legislative Director | Maryland Office of Financial Regulation
Eric Hontz '12
Director, Center for Accountable Investment | Center for International Private Enterprise
Charlton Howard, III '88
Maryland State Prosecutor | Office of the Maryland State Prosecutor
Charles Kassir '19
Senior Advisor to the Chief Justice | Supreme Court of Maryland
R. Jeff Knight '08
Deputy Area Counsel | Office of Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service
Anthony May '15
Attorney | Brown Goldstein Levy LLP
Jade McDuffie McClary '16
Associate General Counsel | National Trust for Historic Preservation
Derrick Milburn '13
Associate Legal Advisor | Department of Homeland Security
Stephen Nolan '76
Of Counsel | Smith, Gildea & Schmidt, LLC
Eshawn Rawlley '14
Judge Advocate | United States Air Force
Lindsey Rennie '19
Assistant Public Defender | Maryland Office of the Public Defender
Dr. Peter Rheinstein '73
President | Severn Health Solutions
Elizabeth Rosen '12
Trial Attorney | Department of Justice
Taylor Scott '20
Associate | Kramon & Graham, P.A.
Yosefi Seltzer '99
Administrative Law Attorney-Advisor | Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
Aarti Sidhu '18
Staff Attorney | Disability Rights Maryland
The Hon. Michael Studdard '94
District Court Judge | State of Maryland
Zara Thomas '19
Assistant State's Attorney | Montgomery County State's Attorney's Office
Tony Torain, II '11
Shareholder | Polsinelli
The Hon. Leslie Smith Turner '83
Judge (ret.) | Howard County Orphans Court
Bruce Villard, Jr. '12
Intellectual Property Manager | Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation
Brian Weeks '09
Administrative Law Judge | Office of Administrative Hearings
Ashley Wetzel '16
Associate | Nelson Mullins
Michelle Wilson McGlawn '04
Deputy Director of Administration | DC Department of Corrections