Fall Recruitment Program
The Fall Recruitment Program combines on-campus interview (OCI) and regional interviewing programs, and provide opportunities for applying to employers nationwide through Résumé Collections and Direct Contact forms.
The Fall Recruitment Program provides students with an opportunity to interview with employers starting in mid-August in various cities, as well as in Washington, DC and on campus. These employers are predominately recruiting second-year students to fill their summer associate programs and ultimately to make permanent offers of employment to students who participate in the summer program. Some of these employers will also be recruiting third-year students for permanent associate positions. While the majority of the employers in the program are larger law firms, there are also many government agencies, public defenders and prosecutorial offices that participate. It is important to carefully check through all of the programs to see which employers will be participating in the Fall Recruitment Program.
The Fall Recruitment Program is very structured and organized and it is essential that you follow the process as described below to be successful in the program.
- Students obtain a password from the CDO to access Symplicity, our web-based recruiting system. Complete Symplicity instructions are in the back of the manual.
- In mid to late July, students upload their résumé s, cover letters, writing samples and transcripts into Symplicity and bid (apply) for employers in which they are interested.
- Employers review student application materials and select those students they wish to interview.
- Employers contact the CDO with the names of the selected interviewees. The CDO, through email and Symplicity notify students that they have been selected by the employers.
- Students who are notified choose a convenient time for an interview on the employer’s interviewing schedule.
Most of the employers that participate in this program are very credential-driven and weigh academic excellence as the primary criteria for granting interviews, as well as journal and skills boards. Employers also look at previous work experience in addition to grades.
Résumé Collections: The Career Development Office also collects résumés through Symplicity similarly to the way that was described above. However, these employers usually do not come on campus and contact students directly for interviews outside of the above process. Most of these employers are located outside of the Baltimore-Washington, DC area.
Direct Contacts: These are employers who have requested that their positions be posted as a job posting in conjunction with the Fall Recruitment Program. You will find these employer posting in Symplicity in the Jobs section.
Job Fairs & Career Consortia
In addition to hosting on-campus recruitment and the Symplicity Job Bank, the Career Development Office sponsors and facilitates student participation in numerous regional and national job fairs and career consortia. Be sure to watch for announcements and monitor the CDO Events Calendar throughout the academic year as these opportunities arise.
Cooperative Job Fairs & Career Consortia
- Loyola Patent Law Interview Program
Public Service Job Fairs & Career Consortia
- Beltway Law Schools Consortium Public Service Career Fair
- Equal Justice Works (EJW) Conference and Career Fair
- University of Maryland/ University of Baltimore Schools of Law Public Interest Career Fair
Affinity Group Job Fairs & Career Consortia
- Association of Corporate Counsel National Capital Region (ACC-NCR) Corporate Scholars Program
- Bay Area Diversity Career Fair
- Boston Lawyers Group Annual Diversity Job Fair
- Cook County Bar Association Minority Job Fair
- Delaware Minority Job Fair
- Greater Washington Area Chapter, Women Lawyers Division, National Bar Association (GWAC) Legal Intern Placement Program
- Heartland Diversity Legal Job Fair
- Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Convention & Job Fair
- Indianapolis Bar Association Diversity Job Fair
- LGBT Bar Association Lavender Law Conference & Career Fair
- Mid-Atlantic Black Law Students Association Job Fair
- Minnesota Minority Recruitment Conference
- National Black Prosecutors Association Conference & Job Fair
- Northwest Minority Job Fair
- Rocky Mountain Diversity Legal Career Fair
- Veterans’ Legal Career Fair