Diversity and Inclusion Scholars
The Diversity and Inclusion Scholars Initiative is a collaborative effort between local law firms and the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, to support their shared vision of increasing diversity in the legal profession, both in Maryland and nationally.
Diversity and Inclusion Scholars must demonstrate leadership and an ability to overcome challenges to their professional values and career goals. Each year, the program offers financial and professional support to approximately ten academically talented incoming students.
In additional to financial support, Diversity and Inclusion Scholars have opportunities to participate in:
- Individual mentoring sessions with attorneys whose firms are part of the Initiative
- Firm-hosted networking events
- Events for the Baltimore legal community, such as bar association meetings, receptions, etc.
- Law school diversity programing
- Mock interviews and other skills-building exercises
The Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship is supported by the following generous law firm and corporate partners; DLA Piper, Gallagher, Evelius & Jones, Miles & Stockbridge, Gordon Feinblatt, T. Rowe Price, Brown Advisory, Semmes, and Venable.
Diversity Scholars are selected by Maryland Carey Law’s Scholarship Committee, and no application is required for consideration. However, applicants may submit an additional statement expressing interest in the Diversity Scholars Initiative.