Prerequisite & Concurrent Course Requirements

Prerequisites will be enforced when students submit requests on their on-line Advance Registration Request Form.  Some courses permit exceptions (see on-line Course Catalog) for exceptions; use the Registration Status & Exception Request Form.  

Voluntary Withdrawals & Leaves of Absence

A student in good standing may request a leave of absence or request to withdraw from the law school. For purposes of this policy, leaves of absence and voluntary withdrawals are treated in an equivalent manner.

Voluntary withdrawal must be in writing and requires the approval of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Communications. A student who stops attending classes at the law school without this approval after registering or being registered will be deemed to remain enrolled in his or her courses. Failure to take an examination or otherwise complete a course satisfactorily will result in a grade of F (0.00) in the course.

A student who withdraws in good standing and is granted a leave of absence may return if the amount of time the student will have been absent from the school since the student’s last matriculation does not exceed three years.

The school reserves the right to raise questions as to character that have arisen during the interim and to refuse readmission on these grounds, subject to the right of the student to petition the Administrative Committee for readmission.

A student who withdraws in good standing, but who has been absent longer than three years is not entitled to be readmitted but may petition the Administrative Committee for an exception to the rule on the basis of extraordinary circumstances.

In all circumstances, students must complete degree requirements within 84 months from initial enrollment in law school, including any leaves of absence.

A student who withdraws must clean out his/her locker and student mailbox, return her/his student identification card, and, if applicable, return his/her parking hangtag. Blackboard, Bloomberg Law, Lexis, and Westlaw accounts are cancelled for all students who withdraw.

If the student receives financial aid, s/he should contact the Financial Aid Office (410-706-7347) to inquire about financial obligations which may result from withdrawal. Questions concerning student accounts (for example, if you have a balance due or if you may be due a refund) should be directed to the Student Accounts Office (410-706-2930). International students should contact the Campus Office of Records & Registration (410-706-7480) regarding their visa status.