Dual Degree Programs & Interdisciplinary Study

Credit for courses taken at other institutions, including courses taken as part of a dual degree program and others which are to be applied toward J.D. requirements, may not be applied toward a student's law school degree requirements without the prior written approval of the Office of Registration & Enrollment. “Request to Take Courses at Another Law School,” “Request to Take Courses at a Graduate School,” and “Dual Degree - Request for Approval” forms are available on the Forms Shelf located outside of the Office of Registration and Enrollment, Suite 280 and on-line.

Approval to take non-law graduate courses will not be granted for on-line courses, distance-learning courses, continuing education courses, or courses designed to meet in-service, certification, or re-certification requirements. Approval will be granted only for graduate-level courses eligible to be applied to Master’s level or higher degrees at the institution through which they are offered.

Students in approved dual degree programs may receive up to 9 credits toward the JD for non-law graduate work completed at the other school. 

Before credits will be accepted on a transfer basis, an official transcript must be sent to the Office of Registration & Enrollment (OR&E), Suite 280, 500 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, showing that:

A) Graduate Level courses – the grade achieved must signify satisfactory completion of the course(s); many graduate schools do not consider “C” work satisfactory; credits transfer, the grade does not. Graduate-level, non-law distance education courses are not eligible for transfer.

B) Law School courses – the grade achieved is a C- or better; credits transfer, the grade does not. If a grade below C- is achieved, the student will be notified and he/she can elect, in the time and manner prescribed by the assistant dean, to take the grade earned in the course instead of ‘no credit'.

University regulations permit students participating in interdisciplinary study programs to participate in the Inter-Institutional Registration program. The program provides the opportunity to take courses at another University of Maryland System school without payment of additional tuition; tuition is paid only at the "home" institution in accordance with its own policies. Students may apply up to nine credits of pre-approved interdisciplinary graduate study credits toward their law degree. Students participating in recognized dual degree programs, summer session programs and students paying on a per credit hour basis are not included in this policy. After receiving permission to register for a non-law course or University of Baltimore law course, obtain an application for Inter-Institutional Enrollment form from Office of Registration & Enrollment, complete the form and submit it to her for processing.

Dual degree program students should take into account in planning their academic programs the different rules in each of the participating schools regarding payment of tuition and fees. In addition to considering the academic credits to be scheduled in each school in each semester, dual degree students should consider the impact of that academic scheduling on the costs (flat fee vs. per credit hour fee) associated with attending each school in each semester of the planned program.

Students participating in recognized dual degree programs should be enrolled for 9 or more law school credits to be eligible for consideration for law school financial aid funds. Students who are registered for fewer than 9 credits are presumed to be applying for financial aid from their 'other' school. Students registered for fewer than 9 credits with the law school yet the majority of their total credits are still with the law school, may request of the law school consideration for award of law school need-based financial aid.

Dual degree students must receive both degrees at the same time in order to be listed as dual degree recipients in the graduation program. While the School of Law will count up to 9 credits of non-law graduate work toward the JD, whether or not the student is in a dual degree program, the other school may not be able to count law school credits toward the other degree if the degrees are not awarded at the same time.

For students first enrolling at UM Carey Law in August 2014 or later: Students in approved dual degree programs may receive up to 9 credits toward the JD for non-law graduate work completed at the other school.  Students in approved dual degree programs who are receiving 9 credits toward the JD for non-law graduate work completed at the other school may in addition receive up to 6 credits for work completed with grades of C- or higher at another law school, subject to the conditions described on our website and on the Request to Take a Course at Another Law School form.  In other words, the total transfer credit for which a dual degree student is eligible is 15 credits (9 non-law credits and 6 law credits).