Printing from Windows XP
To print from your laptop to a law school printer, you may connect to the student wireless network or via a wired connection. Laptops on the Guest wireless network cannot print.
To set up your laptop to print:
- Activate Other Network File and Print Services.
- Open Control Panel and choose Add or Remove Programs.
- On the left, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Find Other Network File and Print Services and make sure that it is checked; click to add a check if necessary.
- Click Next and then Finish.
- Configure a school pay-for-print printer as an LPR Port printer
- Click Start and select Printers and Faxes.
- Under Printer Tasks, choose Add a Printer. When the Wizard opens, click Next.
- Choose Local printer attached to this computer. (Even though pay-for-print printers are not actually attached to your laptop, the "Local Printer" option is correct). Uncheck the "Automatically detect. . . ." option, and click Next.
- Select Create New Port. For the Type of port, choose LPR Port and click Next.
- In the next box, enter: law-pay4print.law.umaryland.edu for the "Name or address of server providing lpd". Choose one of the following options shown below for "Name of printer or print queue" (Your choice will determine which pay-for-print kiosk and printer will be used when you print to this printer).
- If you receive an error message, please check your spelling and try again. If the error continues, your laptop may not support LPR printing. Contact
- If the prior step was successful, install the printer driver. Select HP as the Manufacturer, and HP Laserjet 4100 Series PCL under Printers. Click Next. (If prompted to replace or keep existing driver, choose to keep existing driver).
- Name the printer so that you will remember where to find the kiosk and printer. Decide whether you want this printer to be the default printer for your laptop. Click Next.
- Select Do not share this printer and click Next.
- You may print a test page if you wish; if you do, you will be charged for it. You may prefer to test with a page you actually want to print. Click Finish.