Resources for International Students: Fellowships, Grants, Loans, and Scholarship Information
Below is a list of resources available to international students pursuing JD or LLM degrees in the United States. This is not an exhaustive list, and students are encouraged to research what other resources might exist in their home countries.
General Financial Information for International Students
Fellowships, Grants, Loans, and Scholarships
- American Association of University Women: Fellowships are awarded to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- American Society of International Law; Helton Fellowship Program: Available to law students and professionals of any nationality interested in international law, human rights, humanitarian affairs, and related areas.
- American Australian Association: Fellowships are available for Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia.
- LL.M. Education Fund: Offered by Brain Capital in cooperation with the German-American Lawyers Association. Applicants must be citizens of Euro-area and must have completed at least the first state examination in Germany by the time they enroll in an LL.M. program.
- Bridgat Graduate Scholarship: Applicants must be citizens of an Asian country, pursuing an advanced degree in the United States.
- CREDiLA: Available to students from India.
- Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund: Provides grants to students interested in social change.
- Finlandia Foundation National: Applicants must be of US or Finnish citizenship or Finnish-American heritage.
- Fulbright Scholarship: The Fulbright Program offers grants to study, teach, and conduct research for U.S. citizens to go abroad and for non-U.S. citizens to come to the United States. Fulbright eligibility requirements vary by program and country of citizenship.
- Fund for Development of Human Resources (FIDERH): Applicants must be Mexican citizens.
- Fundación Rafael del Pino: Available for citizens of Spain.
- Global Student Loan Corporation: Educational loans are available for international students.
- Golden Key Scholarships & Awards : Available to members of Golden Key. Each scholarship has different requirements.
- Higher Education Funding Opportunities in the Arab Region: Database of scholarships, fellowships, trainings, loans, and grants to Arab higher education students and institutions.
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China : Available to citizens of China.
- Instituto Ling: LLM scholarships for Brazilian students.
- International Federation of University Women: Available to women who have completed at least the first year of a PhD program.
- Italian Student Loan Fund: Available to citizens or residents of Italy.
- King Abdullah Scholarships Program: Available for Saudi citizens who wish to study in the United States.
- The Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund: Available to women from developing countries currently enrolled at accredited universities in the US. Applicants must demonstrate a commitment and record of service to women and/or children in the developing world and plan to return to a developing country approximately two years after completion of the degree.
- Organization of Istanbul Armenians: Available to applicants of Armenian descent.
- P.E.O. International: Scholarships, educational loans, and awards for women.
- Postgrad Solutions Global and US LLM Study Bursaries: Open to international students to fund LLM programs in the United States.
- The Rotary Foundation : The Rotary Foundation offers grants that support a wide variety of projects, scholarships, and training.
- Saint Andrew's Society of the State of New York: The Society provides funding for two Scottish graduate students to study in the United States.
- The American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF): Applicants must be citizens of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden.
- The Belgian American Educational Foundation: Fellowships for Belgian citizens.
- The Kosciuszko Foundation: Fellowships and grants are available for Polish citizens permanently residing in Poland.
- The Norway America Association: Applicants must be Norwegian citizens.
- The Sweden-America Foundation: Applicants must be Swedish citizens.
- The W.L. Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarships: Available to graduates of Canadian Universities.