MHECN members receive a 20% discounted registration fee to MHECN-sponsored educational events. Programs have addressed issues such as advance directives and Maryland law, ethics in an intercultural society, the process of ethics consultation, the importance of communication in ethics consultation, spirituality and the role of ethics committees, disability rights and ethics, and legal/ethical aspects of clinical informed consent and capacity.
Second Annual Interprofessional Forum on Ethics and Religion in Health Care: How to Maintain Dignity, Respect and Familial Cohesion as our Loved Ones and Patients Age.
Monday, November 2, 2015; 9:00 a.m. – 3:15 p.m
University of Maryland Southern Management Campus Center.
This interprofessional, interfaith conference will explore ethical issues that arise when caring for aging adults—whether as a clinician, member of the clergy, or loved one. Attendees will work through an evolving case study and query various professionals and faith-based panelists to examine best practices for providing person centered care of older adults. This second annual ethics conference is presented by the Institute for Jewish Continuity, The University of Maryland Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Social Work, and The Maryland Healthcare Ethics Committee Network at Maryland Carey Law.
Past MHECN Conferences
- "Practical Clinical Ethics: Patient, Practitioner & Policy,"
Sponsored by Harbor Hospital's ethics committee
Thursday, June 4, 2015, Medstar Harbor Hospital, Baltimore, MD.
- Religious, Medical, Ethical and Legal Perspectives on End of Life Issues, Presented by the Institute for Jewish Continuity,The University of Maryland Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Social Work, and The Maryland Healthcare Ethics Committee Network; Monday, November 10, 2014; UM Carey School of Law
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Dementia: Navigating Difficult Decisions
October 11, 2014; Holy Cross Hospital, Silver Spring, MD
- Maryland Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (MOLST)—A Six Month Check-Up
Monday, December 9, 2013, UM Carey School of Law, Baltimore, MD
- Health Care Decision Making & the Maryland Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (MOLST) Form
Tuesday, April 2, 2013, UM Carey School of Law, Baltimore, MD
- Navigating Communication Landmines in Ethics Consultation.
Wednesday, June 13, 2012, Carroll Hospital Center, 200 Memorial Avenue, Westminster, MD
- Medically Ineffective Treatment Under Maryland Law: A Round Table Discussion with Maryland Hospital Attorneys & Risk Managers.
Wednesday, September 28, 2011, SMC Campus Center, Baltimore, MD
- Ethics Consultation & Beyond: A Primer for Health Care Ethics Committee Members
Wednesday, June 29, 2011, Harbor Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Medical Futility and Maryland Law
Tuesday, November 30, 2010, University of Maryland Baltimore campus
- Disability, Health Care & Ethics – What Really Matters
Wednesday, April 28, 2010, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, MD
- The Ethics of Pandemic-Driven Health Care Resource Rationing
Tuesday, October 27, 2009, University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, MD
- Fine Tuning Clinical Ethics Consultation – A Workshop for Health Care Ethics Committee Members
Monday, June 8, 2009, Franklin Square Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Ethics Committees and Maryland Law – Time for a Change?
Wednesday, December 3, 2008, Broadmead Continuing Care Retirement Community, Cockeysville, MD
- The Ethics of Health Care Reform
Monday, April 7, 2008, University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, MD
- Ethics Committees in Action
Thursday, July 26, 2007, Bon Secours Spiritual Center, Marriottsville, MD
- Money & Medicine: Bedside Ethics of the Medical Marketplace
Tuesday, January 30, 2007, Greater Baltimore Medical Center, Towson, MD
- Should Conscience Be Your Guide? Exploring Conscience-based Refusals in Health Care
Tuesday, June 20, 2006, University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, MD
- Troubleshooting the Patient’s Plan of Care Form
Tuesday, November 29, 2005, Broadmead, Cockeysville, MD
- ‘Healthcare Ethics in Action’ – Basic Ethics Education Conference
Tuesday, June 28, 2005, Franklin Square Hospital Center, Baltimore, MD
- ‘Still Hazy After All These Years’ – DNR Orders: Problems & Solutions
Wednesday, November 17, 2004, Charlestown Retirement Community, Catonsville, MD
- Not in My ER, Not in My Nursing Home: Regulatory, Legal, and Ethical Insights about Dying in Institutions
Friday, December 12, 2003, Franklin Square Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Clinical Informed Consent and Capacity: Law versus Ethics
June 2, 2003, University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, MD
- Spirituality, Healthcare and the Role of Ethics Committees
Monday October 28, 2002, Franklin Square Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Two Topics in End-of-Life Care: African American Perspectives and Conflict Resolution
June 15, 2001, Franklin Square Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Capacity Assessment, Tube Feeding and Other Vital Issues of Importance Before the End-of-Life
Thursday, November 15, 2001, North Arundel Hospital, Glen Burnie, Maryland
- Communication: The Heart of Ethics Consultation
Saturday December 2, 2000, Bon Secours Spiritual Center, Marriottsville, MD
- Tailored Basic Ethics Education Courses
Fall, 2000 – Greater Baltimore Medical Center
September 8, 2001 – Shore Memorial Hospital, Easton, Maryland
- Healthcare Ethics in a Multicultural Society
June, 1999, Harbor Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Hopkins v. Wright: A Panel Discussion
November 18, 1999, Harbor Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Sustaining the Life of Your Ethics Committee
May, 1998, Bon Secours Spiritual Center, Marriottsville, MD