The Berman Student Fellowship
The Byron and Max L. Berman Student Fellowship Fund was established in June 1990 through the generosity of the family and friends of Max Berman (’29) and Byron Berman (’59). Max Berman represented a tradition of high ideals, ethical principles and good judgment, which Byron continued in his legal practice and passed on to his sons, Scott and Blair. Each year, the Berman Student Fellowship Fund supports a student research assistant working in the environmental law program. The goal of the Berman Student Fellowship is to encourage students to gain valuable research and writing experience with University of Maryland Carey Law School professors. Since its inception, the fellowship has been awarded to a research assistant working in the environmental law program.
Environmental Law Program Managing Director William Piermattei with Berman Fellows Chelsea Kadish (2014) and Kat O’Konski (2013).
CONGRATULATIONS: To the 2015 Berman Student Fellow: Haley Peterson
Haley is working with Professor Robert V. Percival researching the Clean Air Act, focusing on the Act’s contributions to the development of environmental law world-wide and catalyst to global environmental cooperation.
Meet the Bermans
Byron Berman (1934-1988) graduated from the University of Maryland Law School in 1959 and was also admitted to the Maryland Bar in the same year. He began practicing law in Baltimore, with his father, Max L. Berman. After his father’s retirement, Byron Berman became a well-respected solo practitioner, specializing in litigation, attaining an “AV” rating from Martindale Hubbell. In addition to practicing law, Byron Berman was a hearing officer for the Maryland Public Service Commission. His biography was included in Marquis Who’s Who in America.
Max L. Berman (1900-1986) graduated from the University of Maryland Law School in 1929 and was admitted to the Maryland Bar in 1930. He had been a veteran of World War I and attended the law school at night. Max L. Berman, like many attorneys of that era, was a general practitioner and ultimately worked with his son, Byron. Max L. Berman also served as a Justice of the Peace/Magistrate in Baltimore City, starting with his appointment by Governor Albert Richie in 1933.
Both Byron and Max L. Berman, lifelong residents of Maryland, were dedicated to the highest ethical principles in the practice of law as well as to public service. They also shared a deep appreciation for the beauty of the outdoors and to the environment.